My First Professional Job Interview
Hi guys, I'm back :)

I'm almost done with my studies, FINALLY. Why did it take so long? That’s another reflection for another day i guess. I was never a dumb student or someone who didn’t understand what I was studying. I knew exactly what I was studying and I was just as skilled as any other peers of mine (except for the really outstanding ones). At the end of it all, although I wasn't all that bad, I had this disturbing feeling in me that I wasn’t good enough. I mean why else would i have taken so long to finish my degree?

Right now, I have only got 1 subject left which is no attendance requirement. I'll just have to finish coding my final year project and present it. Since I had so much time in hand, I went ahead and looked for a job. In all honesty, I didn't expect it to come anytime soon. I had kind of an inferiority complex, if you were in my shoes; I bet you'd feel it too. After 8 years of University and college life, I just couldn’t help feeling sorry for myself.

Never the less, I started looking for jobs in newspapers, online jobsites and some IT companies websites that I knew. My preference was to get myself a programming position in the Microsoft.Net platform, since it was a language I was more familiar with than any other. Although most of my student years were focused on Java Programming, my final year project was in C#.Net and for the first time, I knew everything I needed to implement a complete functioning software. I got in touch with high ranked, proven and experienced professionals who had more confidence in me than I myself did for their recommendations. After I collected a list of companies to contact, I started calling them to ask if their position were available. The first two I called had already filled their available positions. It was a little disappointing, but I knew that didn’t mean they rejected me. After that, I called the third, a Hospital and Clinic Management software company. I asked them the same thing I asked the previous companies and they said the position was available and asked me if I was free to come for an interview that very day.

I knew this was the chance for me to prove what I can really do. I agreed to go for the interview that very day. Right after I put down the phone, I sent my CV to the HR department of the company. Straight after that, I went into their website and mugged as much as I can about the company. I was so nervous to attend the job interview but I steadied my nerve and went for the interview. I got there like 30 minutes too early so I had to wait, these was one of the most extended period of time I’ve ever experienced. Every minute felt an hour. Finally I got the call to go into the interview room.

My first impression of the office was, “Wow, this place is so nice, it would be awesome to work here!!” I was led to this room which had 4 large window panes with the view if the high way outside, It was not a bad sight. Then came in this small framed man and introduced himself as Mr Lim. With a firm handshake I introduced myself and took a seat. This man had an aura of confidence about him that made me even more nervous but naturally I didn’t show it. He asked me a few things and I answered him, along with the reasons why I was so old and just finished my degree. He was satisfied with my explanation and told me he was going to give me a programming test. Inside me I was like (“oh shit please ask me something I know”) haha.

Thankfully I knew how to solve the problem he presented to me and I was so happy inside myself before he threw another bombshell on me. He asked me another question and this time I was quite lost. I knew the concept he was testing me in but I didn’t understand what he was asking exactly and I got so nervous I couldn’t properly think, but naturally I didn’t show it either lol. After that awkward incident he told me “I like you but you have some weaknesses, go study on this problem and I’ll call you for a second interview soon”. With a relieved but disturbed inside I said thank you and found my way out of the office and back to my car. Although the interview wasn’t perfect, I was sure I left a good impression.

After a week I was called in for the second interview and yes I did study the problem I missed on my first interview. When I studied about it, I found out I knew exactly what he asked about but i was too nervous and couldn’t recall the solution =.=”. The second interview only took like 5 minutes and right after that he told me “Welcome to the team, you can join us on Monday”. I felt so elated, I didn’t think I’d get a job this fast but I knew this was not going to be the job I’d be sticking to for a long time. My plan was to move to Toronto at the end of the year and this was a good experience and it kind of helped me boost my self confidence.

So readers, even if you’re scared or nervous or not confident, brace yourself and walk through it. My teacher in high school told me this once, “The mighty Elephant in the zoo is only tied down by a tiny Iron Chain which he can break anytime he wants, but he doesn’t know that”. If the elephant knew this he would be free anytime he wanted, but he was never confident enough to try it. So guys, don’t be that elephant that’s trapped in a zoo, be the mighty Elephant king in the rainforest every creature is scared of :) Peace Out
1 Response
  1. Mumtaz Says:

    Nice post is here with your experience shared, really a nice information is presented that is very helpful.
    companies website


  • Profile

    Profile
    Time to move ahead in life !! :D